Thursday, September 9, 2010

My first ever music purchase online? Horrible!


I thought I should really be good and put back into the music industry, so I bought my first ringtone on my iPhone. Yes, I bought it using my iTunes account on my iPhone.

After the purchase, it wasn't in my ringtones, well that's odd. So I sync my laptop with my iphone, and now I've got the .m4a file in my library. But does iTunes on storm (my laptop) know its a ringtone? Nope. I even changed the filename to .m4r, still didn't recognise it.

I read something somewhere about syncing ringtones, and I checked my syncing settings in iTunes, and it was off. But then [the iPhone noob that I am] I turned on syncing, which actually deleted all music, videos and media on my phone. D'oh!

So I ended up finding this file from "purchased items" thank goodness, converting this .m4a file to mp3 with iTunes, then converted back to .m4a. Changed the name to .m4r, and whammo! It recognises the file as a ringtone.

How can ringtones be sold in itunes that don't work? That's crazy! I had to convert the file away from its format back to what it was to get it working.

So, first impression of my first ever music purchase online? Not impressed.

No comments: